Campus Trans Resources

The University of Maryland, College Park, affirms its commitments to a policy of eliminating discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, or on the basis of the exercise of rights secured by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

University of Maryland Code on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (emphasis added)

The LGBT Equity Center is committed to assisting transgender students, staff, and faculty as they interact with all units of the University of Maryland. While we do not control the policies or procedures of other units, we will assist you as needed.

The following provides some basic information transgender individuals may find helpful. Please contact us regarding any additional information or assistance you may need to access services offered by the University. Our staff is available to meet with you. Please send an email to to arrange an appointment. You may also stop by the Center in 2218 Marie Mount Hall. Likeliest times to find someone with whom you can talk are afternoons Monday through Friday while classes are in session.


Legal change of name

To change your name on all documents at the University of Maryland, you must obtain a Court Order. Students will need to provide a copy to the Office of the Registrar. Once you present the Court Order, all appearances of your name under their control will be changed to the new name. If you are employed on campus, you must present the Court Order to Human Resources. Typically, you will go through the person responsible for payroll and other human resource issues within the department where you work. If you are both a student and an employee, you will need to do both.

How you obtain a Court Order depends on the jurisdiction where you live. In the State of Maryland, you must apply to the Circuit Court of the county (or City of Baltimore) where you reside. The exact procedures vary from one county to another and may change from time to time.

Use of a name other than the legal name

While on campus, students and employees may elect to use a name other than their legal name. The legal name will still be used for official transcripts, financial aid documents, payroll, and other instances where a legal name is required by law or university policy. This option is available to all students, staff, and faculty.

Students may use a "Preferred Name" on campus that is different than their legal name. To access this option, contact Luke Jensen, Director of the LGBT Equity Center. You will be presented a form that you must fill in and sign. (International students may obtain the form from the Office of International Services.) After completing the form, it must be filed in the Office of the Registrar. The form will explain the terms and conditions under which the preferred name will be used; however, there may be instances of its use that are not clear from the form itself.

The form states that the preferred name will appear "on student identification cards, class lists, and student directories only." Please be advised that student directories are used for multiple purposes including mail to your home address. That means any notices sent to your home address, including tuition and other payments due to the university, will bear your preferred name and not your legal name. Also, anyone who has access to information about you online will see your preferred name. In essence, you should expect your preferred name to appear on everything except your official transcript and financial aid documents.

Employees may use a "Primary Name" on campus that is different than their legal name. To access this option, go to Under "Payroll and Human Resources" select "Display/Update Personal Data." After logging on, you will see your "Payroll Name" which in most instances will be your legal name. This is the name that will appear on your payroll checks. You will need a legal change of name to change your payroll name (see above). You will also see "Primary Name." You may simply enter your preferred name in those fields.

Both your legal and primary name will be visible to the person responsible for payroll in your department and whoever supervises that department's payroll administrator. The person supervising the payroll administrator may or may not be your supervisor. Whoever approves your time sheets will see only your legal name. If you have any concerns about who has access to which information, we encourage you to speak directly with the head of the unit where you work. That person may or may not be your direct supervisor. We will assist you in sorting out your particular situation.

Students and employees, please note that your primary name in your personnel file will overwrite your preferred name with the Registrar. Therefore, if you are a student and you work or have ever worked for the university and still have a personnel file, you must make the change at and file a preferred name request with the Registrar in order for your preferred name to appear on class rosters, etc.

Form 1098-T regarding tuition payments will be generated with your preferred name. For tax purposes, you will need to obtain a copy with your legal name. Simply follow the procedures for obtaining a paper copy from the Bursar's Office. Explain that you need a copy with your legal rather than preferred name. W-2 forms should be issued using your legal or payroll name. If you encounter difficulties with your W-2 form, you must contact Human Resources.

When applying for graduation, all students are asked how their name should appear on their diploma. The default setting is to the official transcript and therefore legal name. If you do not wish your legal name to appear on your diploma, you must respond to any query about your graduation name.

After your new preferred name and/or primary name are in place, you may request a change in your University Username from the Help Desk of the Division of Information Technology. You use your username to logon to various secure university web sites. This will also change your official University email address. They must first check on the availability of your desired username, and upon finding one available, they will make the change which will automatically propagate throughout the University's systems. This typically takes a day or two for all systems to update. All email is preserved, but you will lose your previous email address. There is no forwarding ability, so any email sent to your former email address will be lost.

Sex/gender marker

Your sex/gender marker does not appear on ID cards or transcripts, but might be seen by personnel in various databases. Please see Luke Jensen at if you would like to change what appears in your student record. You will be required to provide a government issued document (passport, driver's license, etc.) with the corrected gender, or documentation from either a medical health care provider or a licensed mental health care provider. Please note that the only options available at this time are female and male.


During the summer 2013, a survey of restrooms known or thought to be gender inclusive was done. The results of this survey are found in this spreadsheet organized alphabetically by building name. See UMD Gender Neutral Restroom List. If you find any discrepancies in this list, please report them to

You may also locate single use restrooms with a lock on the door by searching in the database maintained by Facilities Management. Go to and select Facility Name or Facility Code. Then select 030K GENR RSTRM. You may also search 030M FAMILY RSTRM. This will also locate restrooms with the required privacy. Any errors you find in the database should be sent to

Campus policy for all new buildings and major renovations now call for the inclusion of single-use general restrooms. For existing structures, Facilities Management will consider converting gendered single-use restrooms into general use restrooms when requested.


Room assignments in Resident Life

The default for housing assignments on campus is by the sex/gender marker in student records. However, the Department of Resident Life recognizes that transgender students have a wide variety of desires and needs when it comes to housing on campus and such an assignment may not be appropriate for a particular individual. A statement about Resident Life's policy regarding the needs of transgender students may be found at Ms. Erin Iverson is their liaison to LGBT students. Please go to their website for further information.

A multi-year plan to offer more housing options on campus is underway. This includes gender-inclusive housing for continuing students beginning in Fall 2013. Please contact Ms. Iverson for more information.

Apartment Living for Students of Different Genders

The University of Maryland offers a housing option in South Campus Commons and The Courtyards where students of different genders can choose to live within the same apartment. South Campus Commons and The Courtyards apartments offer apartment-style housing with the privacy of single bedrooms. These apartments also have multiple, lockable bathrooms within each unit. If desired, residents of the apartment may designate each bathroom for use by a specific gender.

A limited number of apartments are designated as program units. Priority for selecting spaces will first go to current South Campus Commons and The Courtyards residents who are eligible to renew current leases, followed by students currently living in on-campus residence halls who will enter their third year in college in the upcoming Fall semester.

For more information about this housing option, go to

Off-campus housing

The Office of Off-Campus Housing Services recognizes that LGBTQ students may have concerns when seeking housing. You may find various tools on their web site that can assist you in finding appropriate off-campus housing. See The Coordinator for Off-Campus Housing Services, Ms. Tiffany Gaines, is also available to speak with students regarding any specific needs or concerns.

Campus Recreation Services

Transgender individuals are invited to use the Family Locker Rooms at the Eppley Recreation Center on campus. Campus Recreation Services train their staff to provide a welcoming environment for all patrons including transgender individuals. Should you need assistance locating a Family Locker Room or have any concerns about locker rooms, please see any member of staff in the Eppley Recreation Center. You may also contact Dr. Wallace Eddy, Associate Director of Campus Recreation Services, with any concerns.

Health care

Medical health care

The University Health Center maintains a web page about LGBT health ( Many questions about the availability of and insurance coverage for hormone therapy and other health issues of particular concern to transgender people are not present. In part, that is because these concerns may depend on multiple factors for any given individual. To help answer questions you may have about your particular situation, please contact the University Health Center LGBT Liaison, Jenna Beckwith (301-314-8130), or the University Health Center Faculty and Staff LGBT Liaison, Joan Bellsey (301-314-8099).

Mental health care

Both the Counseling Center and the University Health Center provide mental health care. The Counseling Center offers the Rainbow Walk-In Hour for students, staff, and faculty who are LGBT or from an LGBT headed family. See For Mental Health Service at the University Health Center, see Both are very LGBT-friendly and have out LGBT people on staff.

Speech therapy

Some transgender individuals may be interested in voice feminization or other therapies regarding their voice. Students have reported a welcoming environment and success in voice feminization therapy at the Hearing and Speech Clinic available here on campus. See

Safety, harassment, and discrimination

The Department of Public Safety, University Police, have the responsibility to respond to any and all hate crimes and bias incidents. For any emergency, call

  • 911 from a campus phone
  • 301-405-3333 from any off-campus phone
  • 301-314-7900 from TTY/TDD
  • #3333 from any Verizon Wireless, ATT, Sprint/Nextel or T-Mobile cell phone

For non-emergency service, call 301-405-3555.

University Police post crime statistics and list other services on their web site.

To discuss issues of discrimination or harassment, and, should you decide to follow through, to file a complaint, contact

Roger Candelaria, Campus Compliance Officer
Office of Diversity Education and Compliance
2411E Marie Mount Hall

You may also contact your Ombudsperson, any other member of the Conflict Resolvers Network, or the University Equity Administrator for your Division or Unit.


Finding community may be the most valuable resource an individual discovers. Our students have formed Trans U, a discussion group within the Pride Alliance. You may find their Facebook group at