Champion of Our Community
In 1997 the LGBTSFA initiated the Champion of Our Community award. It is given each year to a member of our group who has made distinguished contributions to the LGBT community. It has been administered by the LGBT Equity Center since 1999.
The award contains the following quotation.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles by it.
- 2013 Nicholas S. Sakurai, Associate Director, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Equity Center
- 2012 Noah D. Drezner, Assistant Professor, Counseling, Higher Education and Special Education
- 2011 Mark Brimhall-Vargas, Assistant Director, Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- 2010 JV Sapinoso, Acting Assistant Director, LGBT Studies Program
- 2009 Richard Madaleno, Jr., Maryland State Senator
- 2008 Robyn Zeiger, Lecturer, Family Science
- 2007 Sivagami Subbaraman, Associate Director, Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Equity
- 2006 Robert E. Waters Jr, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Special Assistant to the President
- 2005 Laura Nichols, Assistant Director and Academic Advisor, Women's Studies
- 2004 Brett Parson, Alumnus and Officer responsible for the Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit, Metropolitan Police Department, District of Columbia
- 2003 Jessica Xavier, Alumna; and Kitt Kling, Alumnus
- 2002 Marilee Lindemann, Associate Professor of English; and Ruth E. Fassinger, Associate Professor of Counseling and Personnel Services
- 2001 Vicky Foxworth, Director, Office for Organizational Effectiveness
- 2000 Nancy Meyer, Chair of the Free State Justice Campaign
- 1999 Nancy West, Primary Care Coordinator, Health Center
- 1998 Luke Jensen, Chair of the President's Commission for Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Issues
- 1997 M. V. Lee Badgett, Assistant Professor of Public Affairs