Emergency Preparedness > Emergency Procedures and Action Plans <- You Are Here
IF YOU HEAR OR SEE A HOSTAGE SITUATION:
- Immediately remove yourself from any danger.
- Immediately notify the University of Maryland Department of Public Safety at 911 or 301-405-3333.
- Be prepared to give the Police Communications Operator the following information:
- Location and room number of incident.
- Number of possible hostage takers.
- Physical description and names of hostage takers, if possible.
- Number of possible hostages
- Any weapons the hostage takers may have.
- Your name
- Your location and phone number
IF YOU ARE TAKEN HOSTAGE:
- Remain calm, be polite and cooperate with your captors.
- DO NOT attempt escape unless there is an extremely good chance of survival. It is safer to be submissive and obey your captors.
- Speak normally. DO NOT complain, avoid being belligerent and comply with all orders and instructions.
- DO NOT draw attention to yourself with sudden body movements, statements, comments or hostile looks.
- Observe the captors and try to memorize their physical traits, voice patterns, clothing or other details that can help provide a description later.
- Avoid getting into political or ideological discussions with the captors.
- Try to establish a relationship with your captors and get to know them. Captors are less likely to harm you if they respect you.
- If forced to present terrorist demands to authorities, either in writing or on tape, state clearly that the demands are from your captors. Avoid making a plea on your own behalf.
- Try to stay low to the ground or behind cover from windows or doors, if possible.
IN A RESCUE SITUATION:
- DO NOT RUN. Drop to the floor and remain still. It that is not possible, cross your arms, bow your head, and stand still. Make no sudden moves that a tense rescuer may interpret as hostile or threatening.
- Wait for instructions and obey all instructions you are given.
- Do not be upset, resist, or argue if a rescuer isn't sure whether you are a terrorist or a hostage.
- Even if you are handcuffed and searched, DO NOT resist. Just wait for the confusion to clear.
- You will be taken to a safe area, where proper identification and status will be determined.