Go to content

Undergraduate Catalog 2014-2015

Transfer Credit

The Office of the Registrar posts all transfer credit that would be acceptable to any of the degree programs at the University of Maryland, College Park. The dean of the college in which the student is enrolled determines which transfer credits are applicable to the student's degree program. In general, credit from academic courses taken at institutions of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting association will transfer, provided that the course is completed with at least a grade of "C-" and the course is similar in content, scope and level to work offered at College Park. The title of courses accepted for transfer credit will be noted on the student’s record; however, the grade will not. Grades from transferred courses are not included in the University of Maryland, College Park, grade point average calculation. See Chapter 1 for additional information.

Courses Taken at Another Institution

Courses taken at another institution may not be credited toward a degree without approval in advance by the dean of the college from which the student expects a degree. Permission to Enroll in Another Institution forms are available in the office of the student's dean. This form must be submitted to, and approved by the college prior to enrolling at another institution. The same rule applies to registration at another institution in all semesters, summer and winter terms included, for any course which will eventually be added to the university transcript. Upon completion of the course(s), the student must submit an official sealed transcript to the Office of the Registrar for posting to his/her academic record.

Courses Taken at Other University of Maryland Institutions

For students who began their attendance at the University of Maryland, College Park in Fall 1989 or later, all course work taken at any University System of Maryland institution will be posted as transfer credit. For all students who attended Maryland prior to Fall 1989, courses taken at another University of Maryland Board of Regents institution (UMBC, UMAB, UMES, UMUC) prior to Fall 1989 will be included in the cumulative GPA. Courses taken at any other institution may not be credited toward a degree without advance approval. See Courses Taken at Another Institution above for information.

Transfer Credit Services

Transfer Credit Services provides articulation information and assistance to students and transfer advisors. More information is available in the section on Transfer Admission in Chapter 1 and online at www.transfercredit.umd.edu .

For information about Consortium or Inter-Institutional Programs, please see Chapter 4 – Registration, Courses Taken at Other Institutions.

Return to top